Canadian supplier of Hunter Wellington Boots

EDIT: Oct 24, 2009 Wellingtons are easy to find in the city now. See the Hunter Wellingtons in Toronto post.

I received a comment about the availability of Hunter Wellingtons in Toronto. I decided to email Hunter of Scotland Ltd to find out. I figured there would not be many Canadian distributors. I actually expected there to be none. I was wrong there is one. The London Trading Post is located in Bobcaygeon, Ontario. They do have an ecommerce website, so it’s possible to order some. So, while there are no local retailers there is somewhere where you can purchase authentic Hunter Wellingtons in Canada (it’s damn pricey otherwise).

London Trading Post
189 County Road 49, R.R.#3
Bobcaygeon, ON K0M 1A0
phone: 705.738.1956
fax: 705.738.1956

Hunter Wellington History
If you are interested here is a link to the size guide.

18 comments on “Canadian supplier of Hunter Wellington Boots

1. Ryan January 20, 2006 4:28 AM

The Welly Boot Song – Billy Connonly

Wellies they are wonderful,
    oh wellies they are swell,
    Cause they keep oot the water,
    an’ they keep in the smell,
    An’ when yer sittin in a room,
    you can always tell,
    When some bugger takes off his wellies.

If it wasna for your wellies
    where would you be?
    You’d be in the hospital or infirmary,
    Cause you would have a dose of the flu
    or even pluracy,
    If you didna have your feet in your wellies!

But when yer oot walking,
    in the country way about
    An yer strolling over fields
    just like a fairmer’s herd.
    And somebody shouts “Keep aff the grass,”
    and you think “How absurd;”
    And, squelch, you find why fairmers a’ wear wellies.

There’s fishermen and firemen,
    there’s farmers an a’,
    Men oot digging ditches an’
    working in the snaw;
    This country it would grind tae a halt
    and no’ a thing would graw
    If it wasna for the workers in their wellies.

Noo Edward Heath and Wilson,
    they havna made a hit,
    They’re ruining this country,
    mair than just a bit,
    If they keep on the way they are goin’,
    we’ll all be in the shit,
    So you’d be’er ge(t) your feet in your wellies.

2. Kim May 10, 2007 9:19 PM

They have them at a children’s shoe store called Le Petit Pied. I tried them on there but they didn’t have my size. And in case you were wondering, they carry adults boots.

3. geekigirl May 10, 2007 9:25 PM

Thanks for your post Kim. Wellies are everywhere now. I did manage to pick up a pair of blue ones at Over the Rainbow for 50% off in Jan.

4. Patricia September 30, 2008 11:10 AM

There are ones over at ‘Get Outside’ over at Queen and Spadina.

5. chris November 29, 2008 10:45 PM

Hunters are now massed produced in China,no longer hand made in Scotland,the
    new
    versions are not the same.

6. Ivan January 8, 2009 7:15 AM

Unfortunately, Hunter wellies are now produced in China and although they look much the same as the ones that used to be made in Scotland, the durability is now very bad, as the Chinese are no good at making things to last.
    If you wear the Chinese-produced Hunters regularly, e.g. because of your work, then they are unlikely to last more than a year. Some of the staff at the stables I go to have managed to kill their Hunters in about 6 months flat, well within the guarantee period. If you want wellies that are well-built and which will last, buy the French-made Le Chameau.

7. Deb January 12, 2009 7:06 PM

Where I can I buy the Hunter socks for my wellies?

8. Moe January 13, 2009 5:29 PM

theres a store in the local mall that has these… if someone needs i can pickup and ship.

9. Felix January 20, 2009 5:13 PM

From Ivan: “Unfortunately, Hunter wellies are now produced in China…durability is now very bad, as the Chinese are no good at making things to last.”

Funny, but the Great Wall has been standing around for couple of thousand years so it seems to me someone in China knows how to build to last! Why do people make such stupid broad sweeping prejudiced statements like this?

Seems to me that any reduction in the quality or durability of Hunter’s boots has to do with Hunter and their quality control, quality assurance. Its Hunter’s label on the boot, so if they don’t stand by their product then don’t buy it. Besides, most everything has a reduced reliability and durability compared to the same or similar product of 10-20 years ago.

• Anne September 10, 2010 9:29 PM

Welll put! I agree!

10. A West April 12, 2009 4:57 PM

I have worn Wellies since I can remember and they were always Hunters, even when I moved to the states and back to the UK. I have recently found a company on line who were very helpful with my purchase and even offered to ship my Hunters for me when I was once again in my travels. The company is based in Stratford upon Avon Target Wholesale they are an official stockiest for Hunter Boots http://www.targetwholesale.co.uk and are cheap compared to some of the high street stores.

Hope you find this helpful.

Regards,
    Alison

11. louise May 11, 2009 2:33 PM

anyone seen where to buy Le Chameau’s in Toronto? Buying on line doesn’t work if one has problem fitting shoes.

12. arnie@thePROMOshop.ca December 3, 2009 10:23 AM

WANT TO BUY THE HUNTER RUBBER BOOTS FOR MY DAUGHTER AND LIVE IN ORANGEVILLE ONTARIO, WHERE IS THE CLOSEST OUTLET TO BUY THEM OR SHIP FROM … THANK YOU

13. arnie December 3, 2009 10:29 AM

are the boots from china legit or knock offs ?

14. Ateeq Ahmed December 9, 2009 10:57 AM

It’s very interesting topic i like it the most among other articles here.

15. Ivan February 1, 2010 7:05 PM

I have to respond to Felix’s comment above, as I think he is the one making the sweeping statement – you cannot compare something made of stone with a rubber product; they don’t really do the same job.

The fact is that the Chinese production line can only imitate the original product, and not its durability. Today’s Hunter wellies are little better than throwaway disposables – expensive ones, too. I’ve seen too many of the current production expire at only 6 months old. It’s a lot of money to pay if you have to rely on them daily, as some of us working with horses or agriculture do.

I’m Chinese in origin, so hardly prejudiced. If you want to learn a little more about the mistakes that Hunter and others might well be making by trusting everything to China, then I recommend you read this book:

Not everything in the garden is as rosy as it seems.

16. IronMac April 26, 2011 10:28 PM

Jumping in a bit late here but Hunter boots carry a 1-yr warranty which makes it very odd Ivan’s statement that they “expire” at six months.

Also, Hunter makes a wide variety of Wellingtons so it’s important to get the ones suited to the type of work that you do or for the intended purpose. But, they all still have the 1-yr warranty.

Comments are closed.